Complete Streets are appropriate to the community context and designed and operated to enable safe, convenient access for all users of all ages and abilities, including pedestrians, bicyclists, public transportation users, motorists, and the movement of goods.
CDTC has developed an Educational and Technical Workshop Series to improve local municipal communication and coordination, training and education. CDTC also assembled a Capital District Complete Streets Design Guide at the request of local governments to fill in gaps where the context of local streets differs from that of state highways.
CDTC’s Long Range Plan adopted in 2015, New Visions 2040, included a Complete Streets White Paper and a Complete Streets Planning and Investment Principle, as did New Visions 2050, adopted in 2020:
- Transportation investments are made based on a complete streets framework which supports the convenient and safe travel of all people — of all ages and abilities as appropriate to a facility’s community context.
- Utilizing a complete streets framework ensures that transportation investments are consistently planned, programmed, designed, operated and maintained with all users in mind – including bicyclists, public transportation vehicles and riders, pedestrians of all ages and abilities, and local delivery needs.
- Successful implementation of a complete streets framework will be achieved by working with municipalities to improve communication and coordination, training and education, and design standards and other resources.
Capital Region policies, ordinances, resolutions, and checklists:
- Town of Bethlehem Complete Streets Resolution (2009)
- New York State Complete Streets Act (2011)
- City of Saratoga Springs Complete Streets Policy (2012)
- City of Albany Complete Streets Ordinance (2013)
- City of Troy Complete Streets Ordinance (2014)
- Village of Scotia Complete Streets Policy (2014)
- Town of Niskayuna Complete Streets Resolution (2017)
- City of Cohoes Complete Streets Policy (2017)
- City of Watervliet Complete Streets Resolution (2017)
- City of Saratoga Springs Complete Streets Checklist
- City of Troy Complete Streets Checklist