The USDOT describes Smart Cities projects as strategies for “integrated, first-of-its-kind smart transportation systems that use data, applications, and technology to help people and goods move more quickly, cheaply, and efficiently.”
CDTC launched a Smart Communities Task Force in 2018 to begin exploring how the Capital District can leverage emerging technologies to improve mobility and foster sustainability with the goal of increasing interest in these concepts among cities, towns, and villages, as well as users of the region's transportation system. The Task Force will meet as needed and will develop a regional "roadmap," which should:
1. Regional vision for technology and transportation.
2. Identify technology needs of the transportation network.
3. Identify project investment priorities and funding strategies.
4. Identify private sector, university, and public agency partners and define their roles.
The roadmap will also include a vision for what an Autonomous Vehicle (AV)-Ready region should look like and propose policies for achieving the vision.
To join the CDTC Smart Communities Task force email email@example.com.
Meetings & Notes
- Smart Communities Project Solicitation
- Meeting Summary