Maintain your equipment and be visible. Remember, lighting and reflective gear are essential. It could save your life.
Cycling in the dark without lights and reflectors puts you at great risk. Wear something brightly colored during the day and reflective at night to help you stay safe.
- New York State Law requires the use of a light on the front of your bike when riding at night.
- Reflectors and reflective clothing make a really big difference. Reflective leg bands are inexpensive and easy to use.
- Use a mirror – you can attach one to your handlebars, helmet or glasses. Having a mirror helps you monitor traffic without constantly having to look behind you.
- Using a flashing light on the rear of your bike will make you more visible.
- Use appropriate hand signals for better visibility to motorists.