Capital District Transportation Committee
Bicycle and Pedestrian Task Force
Record of the Meeting on July 10, 2012
Attendance: Linda Von der Heide (Rensselaer County), Mary Harding (NSYDOT SRTS), Carrie Ward (CDTA), Susan Olson (NYSDOT RI), , Don Odell (Albany Bicycling Coalition), Brian Kehoe (NYBC), Gina Gillooley (NYSDOH), Mike Lyons (Town of Colonie), Fred Mastroianni (GPI), Ivan Vamos (NYBC), Ed Tremblay (City of Cohoes), Jim Digiola (NYS OGS), Todd Fabozzi (CDRPC), Sam Piper (CDTC), Jason Purvis (CDTC)
1.0 New Business
1.1 CDTC’s New Executive Director
Jason introduced Michael Franchini to the group. Mike is the new Executive Director, replacing John Poorman after 30+ years of service. Mike spoke to the group and expressed his support for bicycle and pedestrian planning and projects.
1.2 Map-21 the new Federal Transportation Legislation
· J. Purvis highlighted how MAP-21 would affect bicycle/pedestrian projects and programming. CDTC is currently relying on summary documents produced by agencies such as AMPO. There is a new “Transportation Alternatives” funding that will bundle TEP, SRTS, Recreational Trails and other previously stand alone programs.
· B. Kehoe indicated that MAP-21 may dilute bike/ped funding
· I. Vamos suggested that everyone work to encourage DOT and local municipalities to “opt-in” to designing for bicycle and pedestrian needs and keep a positive spin on any flexibility.
1.3 NYSDOT draft policy on Shared Lane Markings
· J. Purvis shared the draft NYSDOT policy on Shared Lane Markings (sharrows) and discussed the comments compiled by the NYS MPO Working Group, Safety Working Group, DOT regions and other agency representatives.
· D. Odell indicated he is concerned about the speed limit limitations
· The question was raised as to whether DMV could help with education materials for the use of sharrows. It was suggested that the new driver packet may be an opportunity.
1.4 Safe Routes to School
· M. Harding indicated there are 2 more SRTS training workshops. July 23 in Glens Falls and July 26 in Greene County.
· Applications are due on October 5th. A pre-screening is available for those applications received by August 31.
1.5 Upcoming Conferences
· AMPO September 11-14th in Saratoga Springs
· Walk Bike New York September 18th in Glens Falls
· NYS Highway Safety Conference October 14-18 in Lake Placid
1.6 Local Project Updates
· Capital Car share presentation being made to the CDTC Planning Committee in July
· C. Ward mentioned that one of the bike lockers at the Rensselaer Train Station needs to find a new home. Suggestions should be sent to Carrie
· E. Tremblay stated that within the next 30 days the Black Bridge and connecting trails throughout Cohoes will be going out for bid. Construction completion is expected by the end of 2012.
· G. Gillooley suggested there be more focus on proper helmet fitting during distribution. There is an opportunity for education geared towards the local law firms.
· Fred M. from GPI shared his excitement for the national recognition of the Zim Smith Trail
· B. Kehoe inquired about existing TEP funds availability and the status of the complete streets implementation. There wasn’t anyone at the meeting that could answer his questions.
2.0 Upcoming Events
Meetings Open to the Public:
NEXT CDTC BIKE & PED TASK FORCE MEETING: August 14, 2012 9:00 AM